Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness Achieved



  "The Character of a Happy Life" by Sir Henry Wotton, is perhaps one of my favorite poems ever just because not only is its rhythmn amazing but also it's meaning and idea I think is genius. This poem really explains to me what being happy could actually be. The description of a being who has little worries because he has an identity and personallity that blocks them. That's probably not the best idea I can come up with from this poem but I starred it because I think its awesome. This poem has a very simple but mind bending tone that I favor very much and it makes the poem fun to read again. The rhyme scheme used in this is quite generic too; abab, which I think is used very often by poems that rhyme. This poem is motto that should be used for everyones life, to pick up their hopes and dreams and just have fun with them.
              Sir Wotton's poem is basically just a description of someone he views as being the ideal representation of happiness in  a person. Someone who is not fearful, someone who does not let rules control his life, someone who's honesty is his greatest protection. I see this as being this being the achieved perception of happiness, a pursuit that reached its end, I see this as being happy. It's not about him having the perfect life, it's about someone who is in control of their life but doesn't have the desire to change anything about it. This can also be seen as the key to a happy life is first to have will to decide things about yourself, what would make you happy? Truly Happy? However even though I feel that is the true key/representation of happiness, I sense that it is on longer present today. Now the ideal sense of happiness is to have money and sexual attraction and honestly I can believe some people are truly happy with that but even so, I don't think I would want to be that.


    I find this poem truly descriptive and creative. I love the poems rhyme scheme and flow. A very well thought and put together poem with many aspects I like to reflect and try to create into my own poems and ideas. Its as simple as that. It sticks out for its true meaning, and capturing it in a essential and simple wording but deeper meaning in the poem's text. I'm not really into over complicated ideas but I do find it interesting to talk about them, I just don't like reading them because they just look and sound so cheesy. But the text in the poem is quite simple but has a lot of complex backing to it. Maybe I should take the backing in mind when I live out my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment